Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mushrooms as an element in permaculture

Mushrooms are one design element of permaculture that I'm learning more about. I recently purchased an indoor mushoom kit from Fungi Perfecti, and am excited to see how easily I can raise mushrooms indoors.

Here's a chicken chart for (some kinds of) mushrooms:

Inputs
  • medium (sawdust, tree trunk, etc)
  • moisture
  • oxygen
  • starter (spores?)
  • dark
  • attention
Outputs
  • mushrooms (year round food, protein)
  • compost
  • carbon dioxide
  • more starter
  • money (if sold)
As I said, I'm new to mushrooms as a permaculture element.  What did I miss?

Mushrooms seem to fill a place in a permaculture system much like worms.  Instead of breaking down food waste, they break down carbon heavy materials like tree stumps and tree trunks that would be too much for worms or a compost pile.

No comments: